August 11, 2006

Mr monday

Poor Carl -- there you are minding your own business = minding everybody else's -- and the web buttinskis exploit your exposé. Now you're the brunt of blogland. Says one blogboy of your report:

Honestly, it cheers me up every time I think about it, let alone watch it.

We've slumped to this, have we?

I'm working on a music video with a film artist. Music's what I know -- recording and live performance. So I'm asking old questions of new media. What gets left in, left out? Is everything artful in the right context? Can anything be compelling to the right audience? Composition, framing, texture, focus, perspective...

I watched 2 chinese students lipsync the BBoys. Saw the scientist dudes shoot off a couple hundred coke bottles. The bulldog riding a skateboard -- saw that too. Laughed. Admired. Here they get my last hurrah, there they go, into oblivion.

Is the measure of an art work the desire of humans to pay attention to it, stand in awe before it, wonder how another human could accomplish such a thing? Is the charm of non-art how superficially it grazes the skin of 7,942 bloggers for maybe 3.8 minutes?

I want to know what it feels like to step out of your footprint, turn to look, see it fill with strangers' sighs.

bulldog8-11-06.jpg

No comments: