January 28, 2006

A slender line

As I looked for a link to Narnia, I happened on a site that opens playing music which will accompany you very well as you read this posting. If you'd like, open it in another window and then, keep reading...

How are you? I'm in my place of solitude on Saturday morning; all is still. I just finished the Saul Williams poem you gave me. At the end he says:
May these words bring worlds.
I smile -- there is only a slender line between words and worlds, a line the poet crosses like Superman merging through walls, Harry Potter in his invisibility cloak, Lucy finding Narnia within the wardrobe.

When we cross this lowly l, it becomes t, a symbol of sacrifice and redemption. It is the muse who beckons us across the void to a world of depth ignored by surface dwellers.

I know she calls you through literature and music. Your generosity of spirit is her emplem and you wear it well. In truth you are an artist, passing into worlds beyond the present or the past, moving with the poetry of ancient bards, the wisdom of tomorrow.

These words by Marc Chagall revere the artist's vigil:
The dignity of the artist lies in his duty of keeping awake the sense of wonder in the world. In this long vigil he often has to vary his methods of stimulation; but in this long vigil he is also himself striving against a continual tendency to sleep.
I look forward to talking with you again but in the meantime, I will see you on the ramparts, holding sway against the night.

No comments: